Service Changes – Jan 2020
Regional District of Nanaimo Service Change
Effective January 5, 2020
BC Transit and the Regional District of Nanaimo are pleased to announce a service expansion effective January 5, 2020.
This expansion will see an addition of 5,900 service hours to improve access for customers to connect with other communities, to Vancouver Island University, and the Nanaimo Airport (YCD).
The service expansion will include the implementation of two new routes:
- 8 Cedar/VIU: Connecting the community of Cedar to Vancouver Island University
- 78 YCD Airport via Cassidy/Downtown: Connecting Nanaimo to the Cassidy community and the Nanaimo Airport (YCD)
- 7 Cinnabar/Downtown: Which will no longer service the Cedar area and will now travel directly between Cinnabar and Downtown, connecting to the number 8 Cedar/VIU at South Parkway Plaza, reducing trip times by up to 40 minutes
- 30 NRGH to Woodgrove/Downtown: Will see route adjustments to match service with demand
- Holiday service for Christmas Eve, New Year’s Day and Good Friday will also change from no service to Sunday-level service
In addition to the conventional service expansion, handyDART services will also receive an expansion of 1,700 hours to help provide more service to customers.
- The service expansion will increase the handyDART service to meet demand at peak travel time
- handyDART is an accessible, door-to-door shared transit service for people with permanent or temporary disabilities that prevent them from using fixed-route transit without assistance from another person