The driver will:
- assist you on and off the vehicle by the stairs or on the lift if you use a wheelchair or scooter. On some vehicle types customers using a walker with a seat can also use the lift
- secure CSA-approved car seats, wheelchairs, and scooters in the vehicle
- assist you with your seat belt
- assist you to and from accessible entrance doors
The driver will not:
- search a building or other areas for you
- maneuver wheelchairs on stairs or unsafe ramps
- carry parcels for you
- search you or your bag for your fare
Wheelchair, Scooter and Mobility Aid Guidelines
handyDART vehicles have a ramp or a rear lift that can accommodate most wheelchairs or scooters. Your wheelchair or scooter must meet specific size, weight and safety guidelines. Contact handyDART for information or see the Mobility Aid Guide.
Using the Lift
All customers using wheelchairs or scooters use the ramp or lift to get on and off the handyDART vehicle. Customers using a walker with a seat may be able to use the lift by sitting on the walker. In some cases the bus seat layout or the securement of passengers using wheelchairs or scooters may prohibit ambulatory customers using the lift.
An adult must accompany children under the age of six. Children less than 18 kg (40 lbs) must be carried in a CSA-approved car seat, supplied by the accompanying adult. One adult may accompany up to eight children.