Shaping our Future: Strategic Plan Highlights
This page provides highlights of BC Transits Strategic Plan, including our renewed vision, mission, values, and key objectives for the future. For further details, please see the strategic plans summary or full version.
To be a leader in integrated transportation solutions connecting people and communities to a more sustainable future.
Through the strength of our people and partners, we provide safe, reliable, customer-focussed transportation solutions and services to link communities, businesses, and lifestyles.
Safety We will ensure and improve the safety and security of our employees, customers, and assets.
Customer Service We will work with our customers to meet and exceed their needs and expectations.
Sustainability We will measure, improve, and be accountable for our environmental, financial, and social results.
Integrity As stewards of public resources, we will use our assets prudently and be honest, professional, and respectful in our communications and conduct.
Innovation We will develop new opportunities and ways of doing business, and will work to continuously improve the value and quality of our services.
Collaboration We will cultivate strong partnerships, recognize communities complex needs, and create services and opportunities that promote healthy communities and enable choice and connection with other types of travel.
BC Transits strategic plan identifies five major objectives and related priorities that will be critical to meeting the challenges and opportunities of the years ahead and delivering the best possible value to the public.
Objectives are numbered for reference but it must be emphasized that this numbering does not reflect priority ranking. All objectives are interrelated and interdependent and are equally vital to BC Transits success.
For a more information on the objectives and prioritiesas well as a complete list of the proposed actions for eachplease view the complete strategic plan.
1. Develop Financial Sustainability Secure the long term viability of transit by systematically renewing and revising our revenue sources, structures, and internal processes. This means:
- Working with our provincial and local partners to develop stable and predictable revenue sources
- Reviewing and redefining governance structures and accountabilities to support transit
- Improving cost control, communication, and monitoring processes
2. Support and Shape Livable Communities Encourage transit-supportive community planning and development that make it easy to get around by walking, cycling, and transit. This means:
- Increasing integration with other types of sustainable travel
- Influencing land use development patterns
- Identifying and establishing priority corridors for transit
3. Change the Perception of Transit Target transit messaging and advocacy to build public support and attract our next customers. This means:
- Implementing new marketing strategies
- Increasing our advocacy and education practices
4. Deliver Operational Excellence Deliver safe, reliable, easy to use services that continuously improve through active engagement with our customers, employees, and partners. This means:
- Delivering excellent service by creating transit systems that are safe, clean, reliable, simple to use and access, and effective in attracting customers
- Involving everyone, especially our experts
5. Strengthen our People and Partnerships Create an adaptable, socially responsible organization that lives its values, develops its existing employees and partnerships, and attracts new people and opportunities. This means:
- Becoming an adaptable workplace of choice
- Enhancing our people and partnerships
- Increasing our environmental, social, and economic accountability